About Me

Arizona, United States
I'm a work-at-home mom who enjoys the beautiful sunsets here in the high desert.





My Designs

For the free patterns for these afghan squares I designed for My Reading Afghan, click here.

My Recently Completed Projects

On The Hook

Ravelry CAL Afghan 1 in progress
Ravelry CAL Afghan 1

Ravelry CAL Afghan 2 in progress
Ravelry CAL Afghan 2

Ravelry CAL Afghan 3 in progress (squares 1-4)Ravelry CAL Afghan 3 in progress (squares 5-8)
Ravelry CAL Afghan 3

Ravelry CAL Afghan 4 in progress (squares 1-4)Ravelry CAL Afghan 4 in progress (squares 5-8)
Ravelry CAL Afghan 4

Ravelry CAL Afghan 5 in progress (squares 1-4)Ravelry CAL Afghan 5 in progress (squares 5-8)
Ravelry CAL Afghan 5

Ravelry CAL Afghan 6 in progress (squares 1-4)Ravelry CAL Afghan 6 in progress (squares 5-8)
Ravelry CAL Afghan 6

Ravelry CAL Afghan 7 in progress (squares 1-4)Ravelry CAL Afghan 7 in progress (squares 5-8)
Ravelry CAL Afghan--Flower Burst 7ARavelry CAL Afghan--Flower Burst 7B
Ravelry CAL Afghan 7

Ravelry CAL Afghan 8 in progress
Ravelry CAL Afghan 8

Ravelry CAL Afghan Blocks:
Dream Catcher
Cross My Heart
Cygnus
Chocolate Delight
Flower Burst

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Shining Star, Part 1

I got this book, 50 Sensational Crochet Afghan & Throws, edited by Bobbie Matela, for my birthday. I had been wanting this book mainly because I LOVE the stained-glass afghan on the cover, but as it turns out, that is not the first pattern I'm using from the book.

My nephew and his wife are expecting their first baby soon (a girl), so it's time to finish up Tulip Time (the baby dress and booties that still need their embellishments sewn on), and I thought it would be a good idea to make a blanket to match, so I decided to make Shining Star from this book.

The model in the book is made with a variegated pink and purple yarn and looks really pretty, but I'm making my Shining Star with the same Bernat Softee Baby yarn in Soft Lilac and White that I used for Tulip Time to match. I'm using an H hook to get gauge, which rather surprisingly is the hook the pattern suggests--that hardly ever happens for me. The finished measurement is supposed to be 35 inches in diameter.

I'm going to alternate the colors of the components and end with a white border. After the center is done, there are four sets of six 'diamonds' that go around and are inserted into the spaces between the previous set. Here in this picture, I have five out of the six 'diamonds' of the first set finished. The second set will be lilac and will be crocheted into the spaces between the white ones.

I think using different colors for the components will give kind of a quilt block look to it--at least that's what I'm hoping for. In any case, I think it will go very well with the Tulip Time dress and booties. Since I have plenty of the rose and lace embellishments for Tulip Time, I think I'll also make a baby headband to match and complete this layette set. I love making baby things.

0 comments:

 

Pink Girlz Blogger Template | Blogger Clicks Design