About Me

Arizona, United States
I'm a work-at-home mom who enjoys the beautiful sunsets here in the high desert.





My Designs

For the free patterns for these afghan squares I designed for My Reading Afghan, click here.

My Recently Completed Projects

On The Hook

Ravelry CAL Afghan 1 in progress
Ravelry CAL Afghan 1

Ravelry CAL Afghan 2 in progress
Ravelry CAL Afghan 2

Ravelry CAL Afghan 3 in progress (squares 1-4)Ravelry CAL Afghan 3 in progress (squares 5-8)
Ravelry CAL Afghan 3

Ravelry CAL Afghan 4 in progress (squares 1-4)Ravelry CAL Afghan 4 in progress (squares 5-8)
Ravelry CAL Afghan 4

Ravelry CAL Afghan 5 in progress (squares 1-4)Ravelry CAL Afghan 5 in progress (squares 5-8)
Ravelry CAL Afghan 5

Ravelry CAL Afghan 6 in progress (squares 1-4)Ravelry CAL Afghan 6 in progress (squares 5-8)
Ravelry CAL Afghan 6

Ravelry CAL Afghan 7 in progress (squares 1-4)Ravelry CAL Afghan 7 in progress (squares 5-8)
Ravelry CAL Afghan--Flower Burst 7ARavelry CAL Afghan--Flower Burst 7B
Ravelry CAL Afghan 7

Ravelry CAL Afghan 8 in progress
Ravelry CAL Afghan 8

Ravelry CAL Afghan Blocks:
Dream Catcher
Cross My Heart
Cygnus
Chocolate Delight
Flower Burst

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Baby Headband--Part 1

I was really hoping that this would start looking like it was going to work by the time I got to this point. The inner circle is a 16-inch length of elastic with the ends sewn together. The outer circle is the circle of crocheting that is eventually supposed to cover the elastic and result in the headband. As you can see, there is quite a bit of discrepancy between the two.

The interesting part is that the pattern I'm using calls for worsted weight yarn (a 4 on the yarn bulkiness scale), and the yarn I'm using is a DK yarn, which is a 3 on the scale, so thinner than worsted weight, thus it should crochet up smaller than it would with worsted weight. I'm using the same size hook the pattern calls for--an F--and I chained 186 as the pattern stated. At that point, even upon seeing the huge circle I had, my hope was that with the thinner yrn the circle would draw up some and get smaller as I completed the first round of single crochet. It did get smaller, but still was a lot larger than the elastic.

At this point, I'm not quite halfway through the second round, which is single crochet alternating in front and back loops, and it doesn't seem to be getting any closer to the circumference of the elastic. I can understand if it is a little larger than the elastic for a gathered ruffly effect, but I don't think it will work being this much larger around than the elastic.

I think the whole thing is only 6 rounds, with the final round joining to the first round with the elastic inside. I think I'll keep going until I finish the third round and then reassess whether to continue or to start over with a shorter chain, look for another pattern or try making up my own pattern.

0 comments:

 

Pink Girlz Blogger Template | Blogger Clicks Design