About Me

Arizona, United States
I'm a work-at-home mom who enjoys the beautiful sunsets here in the high desert.





My Designs

For the free patterns for these afghan squares I designed for My Reading Afghan, click here.

My Recently Completed Projects

On The Hook

Ravelry CAL Afghan 1 in progress
Ravelry CAL Afghan 1

Ravelry CAL Afghan 2 in progress
Ravelry CAL Afghan 2

Ravelry CAL Afghan 3 in progress (squares 1-4)Ravelry CAL Afghan 3 in progress (squares 5-8)
Ravelry CAL Afghan 3

Ravelry CAL Afghan 4 in progress (squares 1-4)Ravelry CAL Afghan 4 in progress (squares 5-8)
Ravelry CAL Afghan 4

Ravelry CAL Afghan 5 in progress (squares 1-4)Ravelry CAL Afghan 5 in progress (squares 5-8)
Ravelry CAL Afghan 5

Ravelry CAL Afghan 6 in progress (squares 1-4)Ravelry CAL Afghan 6 in progress (squares 5-8)
Ravelry CAL Afghan 6

Ravelry CAL Afghan 7 in progress (squares 1-4)Ravelry CAL Afghan 7 in progress (squares 5-8)
Ravelry CAL Afghan--Flower Burst 7ARavelry CAL Afghan--Flower Burst 7B
Ravelry CAL Afghan 7

Ravelry CAL Afghan 8 in progress
Ravelry CAL Afghan 8

Ravelry CAL Afghan Blocks:
Dream Catcher
Cross My Heart
Cygnus
Chocolate Delight
Flower Burst

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

NatCroMo Freeform CAL

March was National Crochet Month, so on Ravelry there was a group celebrating this, and part of the celebration was a guided freeform CAL (Crochet-A-Long).

We had daily instructions during the whole month (thank you, Kaet!) which were potentially unique to each crocheter, so it was lots of fun seeing how different everyone's projects were turning out.

To get an idea of how the instructions worked, here are some examples--

"March 1 instructions: Throw a single die and chain that number using your favourite hook and the brightest available yarn. (ch a number between 1 and 6)" (I think I got a 6.)

"March 12 instructions:
Please measure the length of your hair in centimetres, and do that many back post trebles, in a new yarn." (I ended up having to do 98 of these.)

"March 17 instructions: Using a smaller hook, make a ruffled section across a number of stitches based on the number of yarns currently in your project. Put two double crochets in each stitch, and do the same number of rows (still with 2dc in each stitch) as stitches you are originally working across."

It was at this point (when I completed the big bright yellow ruffle) that Husband dubbed my project 'The Fish', and it stayed looking pretty fish-like until the bitter end.


I was really faithful to the instructions, no matter how many of a stitch I ended up having to do, until I got to the very last day--

"March 31 instructions: Using your favourite hook, take the average age in your household and do that many corkscrew fringes."

Turns out the average age in my household is 26.8, and I just couldn't take doing 27 of those corkscrews, so I stopped at 5 (the number of people in my household) instead.


It was a lot of fun doing this project because the kids got to be directly involved. Each time there was a yarn change, they took turns picking the next color. They also got to take turns doing the dice throwing, playing card picking, coin flipping, measuring and counting of things, timing of speed trials, etc.

Here is the thread with the daily instructions on Ravelry:


The daily instructions are also available on Kaet's blog:


Those on Ravelry can see pictures of how the NatCroMo freeform projects turned out here:


So, what to do with 'The Fish'? Table centerpiece? Wall decor? Extra-large shower scrubbie? Welcome mat? Yard flag? Wind sock? Potholder/Hot pad? Cat bed? Seat cover? Pull toy? Fancy scarf? Clown tie? Hat/Hair accessory? Furniture duster? Shark bait? Story of Jonah teaching aid? Coaster for punch bowl? Premie baby blanket?

I've seen some beautiful freeform crochet projects, but this sure isn't one of them!

For fun, we can compare it to my bettas--
















Hey! Maybe that's a good use for it--a doily for my betta tank to sit on.

It's probably most likely that I'll end up unraveling it and knitting the yarn into my Mindless Knitting, TV Watching, Scrap User-Upper Afghan.

Happy NatCroMo everybody!

0 comments:

 

Pink Girlz Blogger Template | Blogger Clicks Design