About Me

Arizona, United States
I'm a work-at-home mom who enjoys the beautiful sunsets here in the high desert.





My Designs

For the free patterns for these afghan squares I designed for My Reading Afghan, click here.

My Recently Completed Projects

On The Hook

Ravelry CAL Afghan 1 in progress
Ravelry CAL Afghan 1

Ravelry CAL Afghan 2 in progress
Ravelry CAL Afghan 2

Ravelry CAL Afghan 3 in progress (squares 1-4)Ravelry CAL Afghan 3 in progress (squares 5-8)
Ravelry CAL Afghan 3

Ravelry CAL Afghan 4 in progress (squares 1-4)Ravelry CAL Afghan 4 in progress (squares 5-8)
Ravelry CAL Afghan 4

Ravelry CAL Afghan 5 in progress (squares 1-4)Ravelry CAL Afghan 5 in progress (squares 5-8)
Ravelry CAL Afghan 5

Ravelry CAL Afghan 6 in progress (squares 1-4)Ravelry CAL Afghan 6 in progress (squares 5-8)
Ravelry CAL Afghan 6

Ravelry CAL Afghan 7 in progress (squares 1-4)Ravelry CAL Afghan 7 in progress (squares 5-8)
Ravelry CAL Afghan--Flower Burst 7ARavelry CAL Afghan--Flower Burst 7B
Ravelry CAL Afghan 7

Ravelry CAL Afghan 8 in progress
Ravelry CAL Afghan 8

Ravelry CAL Afghan Blocks:
Dream Catcher
Cross My Heart
Cygnus
Chocolate Delight
Flower Burst

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Getting To Know Jeanie

Scripture Reading: Bemidbar (Numbers) 32-34

Num 33:55 ‘And if you do not drive out the inhabitants of the land from before you, then it shall be that those whom you let remain shall be pricks in your eyes and thorns in your sides, and they shall trouble you in the land where you dwell.



Roast and Red Potatoes ( http://food.yahoo.com/recipes/taste-of-home/114754/roasted-tenderloin-and-red-potatoes ): This turned out to be pretty good, especially the potatoes, but I think it would probably be better if more beef broth was added and, especially with the lesser cut of meat we used (can't afford tenderloin!), it would be worth trying to cook it in the Crock Pot rather than uncovered in the oven.


Hooded Sweater: I did a couple more rows of the back bottom ribbing on this before I realized that if this is going to be my take-along project, it would be better to leave it alone while I was at home for the time being since there isn't that much yarn left, and I'd hate to run out of yarn (and thus be unable to knit) while I'm away from home with it. I need to get more yarn in order to complete this, but so far, my experience with Caron Simply Soft 'no dye lot' yarn is that there can be significant differences in color between skeins, so we'll see how well it matches up when I get more.





Hound Hoodie: My daughter and her puppy, Harley, came for a visit last night, so I was able to get some pictures of Harley in his recently completed Hound Hoodie. It's big on him, but we thought he looked pretty cute. In the pictures he looks a little humiliated, though, doesn't he? Anyway, this sweater should keep him nice and warm at least, and perhaps it will fit him even when he's fully grown. He's only about 4 months right now.




Jeanie: I've finished the first 8 rows of this, which includes the first cable row, and it is getting easier and easier. I'm not having to consult the charts constantly as I was during the first couple of rows. I'm getting a feel for the pattern and for what goes where. Doing the cables was harrowing because the yarn is so thin and matches the color of my cable needle too well, making the working of the stitches off of the cable needle a breath-holding experience. With such dark yarn and my bad eyes, trying to recapture a dropped stitch might be an exercise in futility, so I was desperate not to drop any stitches. And I found that kind of ironic because part of the beauty of this pattern comes from the stitches that are supposed to be dropped (haven't gotten to that part yet, though). The rest of the stitches (a lot of them twisted by working through the back loops) must be prevented from dropping at all costs lest I never recover them! And I think on the next cable row, I'm going to try one of my light-colored bamboo double-pointed needles as a cable needle, or maybe look for a different cable needle on my next shopping trip.


Duel: I think I made my distaste for this show clear in previous posts, but during last night's marathon, where Husband played at least four of these in a row from the DVR until the bitter-end finale, there were some remarkable moments. One of the standouts for me was the guy who said, "Oh no, I lost because I don't know how to count!" He had miscounted the number of months in the year which had 31 days. Another moment that caught my attention was the final winning/losing question for all the money, where the guy on the losing end of the question suddenly realized that oil floats on water, water being the only one of the multiple-choice answers that he didn't cover with a chip. The question was about which gallon of liquid was the heaviest. Three of the choices were water, crude oil and vegetable oil, and the fourth choice was that they all weighed the same. Anyway, except for the above-noted moments worth watching, this Duel marathon was a good time for me to devote my attention to learning my Jeanie pattern.


Dinner Tonight: Leftovers.

0 comments:

 

Pink Girlz Blogger Template | Blogger Clicks Design